WAFC Forest Focus - November 18, 1997

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Wed Nov 19 02:55:40 EST 1997

Western Ancient Forest Campaign wrote:

> From: Steve Holmer <wafcdc at igc.apc.org>
> Subject: WAFC Forest Focus - November 18, 1997
>
> FOREST FOCUS, the bulletin of the Western Ancient Forest
> Campaign, November 18, 1997  To reach us call (202)879-3188, fax
> (202)879-3189, or email WAFCDC at igc.apc.org
>
> END ROAD BUILDING AND...:  After signing the FY98 Interior
> Appropriations bill last Friday, President Clinton stated that though
> Congress failed to end road purchaser credits for next year he would
> propose in his FY99 budget request that they be eliminated.  "Many in
> the Congress have acknowledged the adverse environmental impact that
> decades of timber road building have caused to our land and water,"
> the President said.
>
> ...PROTECT ROADLESS AREAS:  In the same statement President
> Clinton said that the Forest Service is developing a "scientifically based
> policy for managing roadless areas."  Clinton declared, "These last
> remaining wild areas are precious to millions of Americans and key to
> protecting clean water and abundant wildlife habitat, and providing
> recreation opportunities.  These unspoiled places must be managed
> through science, not politics."
>
> THE SURVEY SAYS!:  The Rockefeller Technology Project reports
> that for the sixth year a clear majority of Americans said protecting the
> environment and a strong economy "can go hand-in-hand."  When
> asked to choose whether the environment or the economy should be
> given priority if no compromise were possible, 69% said they would
> choose environmental protection and 15% said they'd choose economic
> development.  An overwhelming 95% said they would like to have
> environmental education taught in schools.
>
> THE LONG DRAW OF THE USFS:  The Long Draw timber sale on
> the Okanogan National Forest is proving to be a contentious issue, not
> only for federal officials but also for Washington State Gov. Gary
> Locke reports a Nov. 13 the Seattle Times article.  "We received a big
> outpouring of opposition (to the sale)," said Carol Jolly, an assistant to
> the governor.  Jolly had previously sent a letter to Regional Forester
> Bob Williams asking him to "seriously weigh the high costs associated
> with offering the sale at all and reassess its merits before making a
> decision about proceeding."  The sale, which proposes to log 8.7 mmbf
> from a pristine roadless area that is home to the state's largest
> population of lynx, was appealed by several northwest conservation
> organizations.
>
> "LET'S SAVE WHAT'S LEFT":  In a lengthy Nov. 9 editorial the
> Des Moines Register lauds Iowa Rep. Jim Leach for co-sponsoring the
> "National Forest Protection and Restoration Act" with Georgia
> Democrat Cynthia McKinney.  The editorial enumerates several reasons
> for supporting the bill but Leach admits that it could take ten years to
> get passed.  "In a logic-driven Congress," the editorial summarizes, "it
> wouldn't wait that long."
>
> Steve Holmer
> [...]

To Steve Holmer, and others who post forestry related stuff in
environmental newsgroups- PAY ATTENTION- I have suggested several times
in the various environmental newsgroups to crosspost forestry related
messages to the 2 only forestry newsgroups on planet Earth,
bionet.agroforestry and alt.forestry. If you're not looking for an
online dialog with REAL FORESTERS, then you look CLOSED MINDED and
FOOLISH. Give the online forestry community a chance to comment. Since
the forestry online community is so small, it is the ELITE of the
profession and their opinions should be heard. Dialog is the way to
solve problems. Just posting and vanishing is what bureaucracies do.
Some of us are ACTUALLY on your side. Not all foresters are land rapers.

Joseph Zorzin

--
http://forestmeister.com
"The ONLY forester's web page in the otherwise sophisticated state of