Dead Tree?

jim Reply at newsgroup.is.ok
Wed Nov 19 13:33:05 EST 1997

R.R. <fx at epix.net> wrote in article <34727E4F.1388 at epix.net>...
> I planted 298 Douglas Fir trees.Everyone except one have their needles
> and are showing signs of growth.The one in question lost all of its
> needles.Is it dead or just transplant shock.The tip broke off about
> three inches down.These are 3 year seedings.I'm in N.E.Pennsylvania.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Be thankful that that many lived.  Here is WA where the tree is native,
mortality is almost always much higher.  I find 10-20 percent is not
uncommon.

Why the tree died.
	It's not a perfect world.
	Not planted correctly.
	Roots dried out prior to planting
	Planted wrong time of year(after bud break)
	Bad nursery stock
	among others

Jim