The debate

Al Stangenberger forags at nature.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Nov 20 19:40:59 EST 1997

 In article <64kobf$9h2$1 at>,
 forags at nature.Berkeley.EDU (Al Stangenberger) wrote:

 > That's how it's done in California - all Timber Harvest Plans must be approved
 > by a Registered Professional Forester, and all sales on private land
 > are inspected for compliance with the Forest Practice Act by the CA Dept. of
 > Forestry.

I clarified the above with one of my RPF friends:

Timber Harvest Plans have to be approved by an RPF.

The actual logging operation has to be carried out by a Licensed Timber
Operator.  It doesn't HAVE to be supervised by the RPF, but in practice
most timber sales are.

Licensed Timber Operators have to take a special course, have 3,000 hours of
experience, and also post a 1-million dollar bond.

Timber operations are inspected by the state.
Al Stangenberger                      forags at            
Dept. of Env. Sci., Policy, & Mgt.    145 Mulford Hall # 3114
Univ. of California at Berkeley       Berkeley, CA  94720-3114
(510) 642-4424  FAX: (510) 643-5438   

More information about the Ag-forst mailing list