Hectares and acres

Gareth Browning aforester at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 16:30:09 EST 1997

On a seasonal note in the UK we sell christmass trees by the foot. I
typically buy a 10ft tree and re retail from our visitor centre  where the
most popular sizes are 5, 6 and 7 ft trees. Even though I prefer metric. for
christmas trees measurement in feet is much easier to visualize and almost
part of the  tradition of christmas. It wouldnt be the same asking for a 1.8
or 2.1 metre tree. What do other people sell the christmas trees in?

Still on measurements another area of forest management still firmly rooted
in imperial measurement is that of gates. I have to see did try and ask for
a gate in metric once but following the response have had to stick with
imperial. All my local sawmills and suppliers seem only able to make them in
feet. The most common being 12ft but we also use 10, 8 and 4 ft. Strangely
the odd numbers rarely figure. The thought does occure to me though that
many of the gates are still hung on tradditional stone stoops and fit
between gaps in walls made many decades ago long before metric in this
country. I have my doubts if this will change much especially since 2ft is
he clumsey size of 3.65m.

Still on reflection this adds to the spice of life and as long as the buyer,
manufacturer, grower and customer all agree on the units of measurement for
their seperate purcchase how much does it matter.

Take the final example of selling firewood by the trailer or boot load.
Neither are fixed measurements but many forest I know sell their firewood
that way. The poor sole with the mini is certainly losing out to the Volvo
740 estate owener but Iam sure there is give and take.