Hectares and acres

Steve f94m at unb.ca
Mon Nov 24 14:29:14 EST 1997

Gareth Browning wrote:

> On a seasonal note in the UK we sell christmass trees by the foot. I
> typically buy a 10ft tree and re retail from our visitor centre  where the
> most popular sizes are 5, 6 and 7 ft trees. Even though I prefer metric. for
> christmas trees measurement in feet is much easier to visualize and almost
> part of the  tradition of christmas. It wouldnt be the same asking for a 1.8
> or 2.1 metre tree. What do other people sell the christmas trees in?
>
> Still on measurements another area of forest management still firmly rooted
> in imperial measurement is that of gates. I have to see did try and ask for
> a gate in metric once but following the response have had to stick with
> imperial. All my local sawmills and suppliers seem only able to make them in
> feet. The most common being 12ft but we also use 10, 8 and 4 ft. Strangely
> the odd numbers rarely figure. The thought does occure to me though that
> many of the gates are still hung on tradditional stone stoops and fit
> between gaps in walls made many decades ago long before metric in this
> country. I have my doubts if this will change much especially since 2ft is
> he clumsey size of 3.65m.
>
> Still on reflection this adds to the spice of life and as long as the buyer,
> manufacturer, grower and customer all agree on the units of measurement for
> their seperate purcchase how much does it matter.
>
> Take the final example of selling firewood by the trailer or boot load.
> Neither are fixed measurements but many forest I know sell their firewood
> that way. The poor sole with the mini is certainly losing out to the Volvo
> 740 estate owener but Iam sure there is give and take.
Where I'm from in Nova Scotia we still use cords quite a bit. On the
small woodlots , measurements are usually thought of in acres and cords
of wood. Though some of the bigger companies use cubic metres and
hectares. Personally I tend to use a mishmash....hectares and cords when
I'm home, and while I'm up here in New Brunswick I use hectares and
cubic metres, since that is the normal for the companies up here.
Personally give me a string box in metres when measuring out lots, I
find the metric system much easier than the old imperial, but than thats
proably because I grew up using the metric, while my father gives me
strange looks because he uses the old imperial method. Could be worse
though...I still can't figure out what the hell a cunit is.
--
The strangeness of my actions are porprotional
to the 'normality' surrounding me.