Nothing to do with: Black Cherry stumpage

jimi jimi at hendrix.com
Tue Nov 25 21:57:41 EST 1997

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <64lkud$49r$1 at newsd-122.bryant.webtv.net>,
> HUN60 at webtv.net (Timothy Hunley) wrote:
>
> > Good forest management in the USA is not forced on private landowners.
> > It is therefore, an elective decision made by the landowners
> > individually and varies from intense to non-existant.  Good forest
> > management is a long way off from becoming a household word.
>
> It's questionable if good forest management is worth it.  The average
> land owner only owns a piece of property for 8 years, so you can
> put a lot of effort and a moderate amount of money into good forest
> management and get absolutely nothing out of it.  You end up making
> some other guy a millionaire 50 years from now.  For the privelege
> you get to spend your time and money.
>
> Most landowners do the minimum necessary to get the property tax break,
> and there it stops.  There isn't any incentive to do any more unless
> you're a tree hugger.
>
> > My 1 & 1/2 cents worth.
>
> Double down.
>
> -- Larry

I don't think I'm a tree hugger.  I did have visions of what my
"sculpting" would like 25 and 50 years from now.  I realized that I
probably wouldn't still own the property by then (merely a 10 acre
lot).  I even didn't realize a tax break.  I seriously enjoyed the hard
work put into planting, cutting, brush hogging, etc.

Luckily, the relatively small improvements to the land was recoqnized by
the people that eventually purchased it, so it has payed off monetarily.

I still think that I will feel pride and satisfaction some years down
the road when I take a look at it, even though its to someone else's
benefit.

Let the property owners do what they will with the trees.  If people
want to preserve a virgin forest, buy it.  If we own the land
(government property) then lets get our money out of it wisely, based
primarily on science.  Regardless, I think there will be (and have been)
enough "johnny appleseeds" like me out there where we'll have a very
nice/diversely vegitated landscape.