The debate

Paul Morgan t2r6 at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 25 22:39:49 EST 1997

Steve wrote in message <3479D430.5952 at unb.ca>...
>Paul Morgan wrote:
>>
>> Joseph Zorzin wrote in message <346E003B.22F7 at forestmeister.com>...
>>
>> >I happen to think government is NEEDED,
>> >because without it, we'd be back to the 12th century. I'm actually proud
>> >to admit to being a LIBERAL. Let's have government but lets have GOOD
>> >government. And GOOD government wouldn't waste taxpayers money
>> >overseeing me, while 90% of the logging goes on without any forester at
>> >all.
>>
>> The problem here is that you are indeed LIBERAL, too damn LIBERAL, in
your
>> lust to control other people's land.  Lead by example, not by
legislation.

>> Paul
> Owning forest land does not endow the owner with proper knowledge in
>hwo to manage and care for that land. Some governmental (whether federal
>,provincial/state) regulations and help(ie extensions services,
>information workshops,etc) can help those who want to know more. Its not
>about controlling peoples land, but it should be about helping those
>people manage their land more effectively.
>--
>The strangeness of my actions are porprotional
>to the 'normality' surrounding me.

I'm afraid you are too charitable in your interpretation of the comments of
the Forestmaster.  He has repeatedly stated that landowners should be
required by law to employ foresters to manage the harvest their woodlands.
I'm all for voluntary education and proper land management - I intend to be
able to retire early through proper land management.  I'm not against state
forestors.  I view them as the proper "cops" for  the woods.  I'm not
against private forestors and will probably contract with one in the future.
But I flat-out reject the notion that just because forestry professionals
know how to manage woodlots better than most landowners, they are therefore
entitled to force their services upon the unwilling.  No matter how much
money they can make for the landowner, no matter how much they can improve
the forest, the simple fact remains that it just ain't their land.  Freedom
includes the freedom to be ignorant and a poor land manager.

I'm tempted to propose a bill that would force all pc owners to employ
computer professionals in the management and use of their PCs.  Think of the
lost data on those 95% unbackedup disk drives that could saved!  Think of
the money people waste on foolish, unnecessary PC software!  Think of the
ravages these users inflict on our information infrastructure from all those
browers with too small cache size settings!  Damn, we need some more laws!

Why do many (if not most people) employ financial institutions to help
manage their investments?  Because they have a proven track record of
success.  Private forestors can do the same - lead by example, not
legislation.

Paul