Portable Sawmills

Tony de Bont tonydebont at effect.net.au
Wed Nov 26 18:14:35 EST 1997

TREEFARMER at webtv.net wrote:

> Thanks Ron for pointing out the circular blade size mistake. What I
> meant to write was the mill uses a circular blade that can cut up to
> either 6", 8", or 9" planks, depeding on the blade chosen. The actual
> blade diameters are 17",21 1/2", and 22".  There are chainsaw bar
> attachments for slabbing. The mill is called a Lucas Mill.
> Has anyone heard of this mill or seen one operate?

  I think the 'mill' is made in New Zealand.  I saw it being demonstrated
at a Field Day at Gunnadah.  There are a number of other 'portable' mills
available here in Australia, some locally manufactured and others from
New Zealand.  The Kiwis seem to be a bit ahead of us on this technology.
They are reportedly widely used in New Guinea where the mill is taken to
the tree and the milled timber is carried back to the villages.

Tony de Bont - Gundaroo NSW