The debate

jimi jimi at hendrix.com
Wed Nov 26 23:39:36 EST 1997

Paul Morgan wrote:

> kat wrote in message <65gn6m$g684 at malun1.mala.bc.ca>...
>
>  {much snipped}
>
> >i sure hope you don't own much land, pal !!!  Attitudes like yours are what
> >made the amazon what it is!!!  you have a really good point - it is your
> >land to do with as you choose - no forester can tell you what to do - screw
> >it up as much as you like.  It  "ain't"  their land, but they give a shit
> >more than you do.  And they know way more than you.  So, you can be proud
> of
> >yourself for being an  IGNORANT landowner - cheers!!!
> >

> Not to be a party pooper, but you might be suprised to find that:
>
>  -  I agree nearly 100% with the ForestLuster's ends (though not his means)
>  -  I'm a great Thoreau fan
>  -  I only log on snow with a crawler (no mud, none of the time)
>  -  I don't select crop trees by species value, but by what appears to grow
> best on the site naturally (can't quite bring myself to use the term
> "diverse", however)
>  - Without any coercion whatsoever, I usually exceed every regulation and
> BMP I've seen, a priori, because I love the land and trees.
>  - I probably know as much about computers as I do forestry (interpret this
> as you will)
>
> The point being that the only way to improve the quality of forest
> management without threatening people with fines and jail time is to either
> breed better landowners or demonstrate convincingly that proper land
> management is in their best interests.  I'm pleased to report that there are
> two of the former on the way while I concentrate on the latter.
>
> Trees AND freedom.  I know...a difficult concept these days.
>
> Paul
>
> (BTW, please don't drive your car until a certified mechanic has approved
> your maintenance plans, don't spend any money until your local, friendly
> micro-economist has approved your personal budget, and don't get out of bed
> until your HMO has approved your diet-and-exercise plan.  After all, we're
> all in this together, right?)

Positive outlook for all those concerned about our world's vegitation:

Guys like this who manage forest lands (with a concern for future
generations) do exist!

A landowner or two today has already taken the risk associated with
diminishing the best ROI today (in the next 50-300 years) by "properly"
managing his woodlands and instead has thrown caution into the wind by
preserving/creating a potential climax forest (not doing anything but
enforcing tresspassing restrictions) so that his/her decendants some 51
or more years from now can sell viewing opportunities to the treehuggers
of the future at a premium.

A very high risk, indeed considering the volatility of our political
system and our government's tendendancy to stick its nose into every
aspect of our lives.  Will the time come where it is decided that this
parcel, for the good of all people should be confiscated in order to....