ACF Comment on Forest Certification

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Oct 2 10:59:36 EST 1997

Jostnix wrote:

>  Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> writes:
>
> >  I provided information about what the ACF
> >has
> >learned to date about the program, the ACF member who has been certified
> >by
> >Smart Wood,
>
> Does ACF now have a stake in certification?

None stated that I know of, however, you can see where consultants
should be on top of the certification process.

> > There was some indication, however,
> >that
> >some National Forests are currently seeking considering pursuing
> >certification.
>
> IMHO, this is another example of the USFS Forest System in a "gee, what do
> we do next?" mode.  They are a ship without a mast, without a rudder,
> without a mission...or maybe too many missions.  And they have, in times
> past, been so together and confident.

We are seeing in the USFS what happens in the military in "states of
non-war".  A reduction in forces, poor leadership, political
"leadership" that may not be wrong but is certainly not based on
science, and demands from a public that is largly silent.

--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/