Headwaters Forest Video Available

catherine yronwode cat at luckymojo.com
Fri Oct 3 18:43:03 EST 1997

Al Stangenberger wrote:

> Thanks for all the information on that incident.
>
> Out of curiosity, did CAL-OSHA ever take any action against LP over
> the saw's condition?

Sorry, i don't know the answer to that, but i would think that as of
1993, when that article i quoted was written, they had not, or it would
have been mentioned.

One more thing, by the way. Don Staples asked why anyone would
"announce" that they had spiked trees when that is obviously an illegal
act. Don -- i forgot to answer your question, so here you go:

Spiking trees WITHOUT announcing that they had been spiked would not
prevent logging because if no one knew that the stand had been spiked,
they would just go ahead and log.

The orignal and now discredited tree-spiking tactic, as promoted by
Earth First pre-1993, was to tag the stands of spiked trees and then
anonymously announce the tree-spiking to the local press. This was
supposed to prevent the trees being cut down by making them too costly
or too dangerous for the logging companies to fell. Obviously the tactic
did NOT work -- but that was the idea behind it. There was never an
intention to "terrorize" or harm mill workers or loggers, as far as i
can tell from reading the old literature on the subject.

Again, i am not an Earth Firster, so my knowledge here is second hand. I
do live in the redwoods region, though, and i follow the local news
pretty closely, so i think i am giving as good an account of events as
anyone who is not an expert could.

catherine yronwode
cat at luckymojo.com

Lucky Mojo Curio Co: http://www.luckymojo.com/luckymojocatalogue.html