Headwaters Forest Video Available

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Oct 3 19:39:15 EST 1997

catherine yronwode wrote:

> Spiking trees WITHOUT announcing that they had been spiked would not
> prevent logging because if no one knew that the stand had been spiked,
> they would just go ahead and log.

Where on the tree were these spikes put??? It's catagorically IMPOSSIBLE
that anyone could drive a spike into a tree and the logger wouldn't see
it. Just impossible. Loggers look at trees very, very carefully before
they try to drop'em. If the spike is higher than the loggers cut and the
logger noticed it several feet up- you'd think he/she would mark that
spot so the problem could be dealt with by bucking out that section.

Something just doesn't sound true about this. I suspect that any injury
occuring at a mill DID NOT occur as a result of purposeful spiking but
instead was caused by some other problem.