Headwaters Forest Video Available

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Fri Oct 3 19:28:20 EST 1997

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in article
<34359033.2151 at forestmeister.com>...
> catherine yronwode wrote:
>
> > Spiking trees WITHOUT announcing that they had been spiked would not
> > prevent logging because if no one knew that the stand had been spiked,
> > they would just go ahead and log.
>
> Where on the tree were these spikes put??? It's catagorically IMPOSSIBLE
> that anyone could drive a spike into a tree and the logger wouldn't see
> it. Just impossible. Loggers look at trees very, very carefully before
> they try to drop'em. If the spike is higher than the loggers cut and the
> logger noticed it several feet up- you'd think he/she would mark that
> spot so the problem could be dealt with by bucking out that section.

I've seen logs with hardware dangling on the outside.  Not all loggers are
that careful.  I often ask how the loggers didn't rip their pants when they
cut the tree.

> Something just doesn't sound true about this. I suspect that any injury
> occuring at a mill DID NOT occur as a result of purposeful spiking but
> instead was caused by some other problem.

Not all logs sawn come in from company trucks.  Logs bought from
independent loggers could have contained spikes, they just didn't tell
anyone.  When any saw comes in contact with metal, the saw usually loses.
Heavy metal will destroy even an 8 guage circular saw.  I know, cause I did
it. The metal was galvanized and did not cause any severe discoloration
(although some was present).

RDW