Headwaters Forest Video Available

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Oct 3 20:11:24 EST 1997

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in article
> <34359033.2151 at forestmeister.com>...
> > catherine yronwode wrote:
> >
> > > Spiking trees WITHOUT announcing that they had been spiked would not
> > > prevent logging because if no one knew that the stand had been spiked,
> > > they would just go ahead and log.
> >
> > Where on the tree were these spikes put??? It's catagorically IMPOSSIBLE
> > that anyone could drive a spike into a tree and the logger wouldn't see
> > it. Just impossible. Loggers look at trees very, very carefully before
> > they try to drop'em. If the spike is higher than the loggers cut and the
> > logger noticed it several feet up- you'd think he/she would mark that
> > spot so the problem could be dealt with by bucking out that section.
>
> I've seen logs with hardware dangling on the outside.  Not all loggers are
> that careful.  I often ask how the loggers didn't rip their pants when they
> cut the tree.
>
> > Something just doesn't sound true about this. I suspect that any injury
> > occuring at a mill DID NOT occur as a result of purposeful spiking but
> > instead was caused by some other problem.
> >

> Not all logs sawn come in from company trucks.  Logs bought from
> independent loggers could have contained spikes, they just didn't tell
> anyone.  When any saw comes in contact with metal, the saw usually loses.
> Heavy metal will destroy even an 8 guage circular saw.  I know, cause I did
> it. The metal was galvanized and did not cause any severe discoloration
> (although some was present).

My sawmill experience is minimal but I never saw a sawmill (no pun
intended) that didn't first send the logs to a debarker before the log
was cut up so I would think the debarker would spit out any metal. If
there was still metal in the log, the sawyer should see it. I've watched
sawyers and I don't think any computer nerd every impressed me more than
this trade. It's got to be one of the most intense jobs anywhere. The
logs are zipping back and forth very fast and the sawyer has to flip the
log in such a way to maximize the value produced. They're looking very
intensely at each face of the shrinking log and if metal was exposed
they'd almost certainly see it- and they can stop the saw in an instant.

So, I consider it extremely unlikely that a spike in a tree could get
past the logger, the bucker, the trucker, the guy at the mill measuring
the incomming logs, the guy fork lifting the logs to the green chain,
the debarker and the sawyer, and the magnetic metal detectors many mills
have.

I would think that metal that has been in the trees for many years would
be more likely to cause a problem- something left there by some dimwit
throwing a knife at a tree or shooting at it, or leaving a pulp hook
stuck in it or old fence or whatever. Then after 50 years or so it would
be deeply buried and likely to survive all the way to the sawyer.