Headwaters Forest Video Available

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sat Oct 4 18:24:33 EST 1997

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> McKenney wrote:
> >
> > Excuse me, it is entirely conceivable that one could drive a spike in a
> > tree and not have it seen by a logger and not found until hit by a saw or,
> > perhaps, found by a metal detector.
> >

> Conceivable but not likely. Believe me, loggers look very close at
> trees. I mark trees for cutting on harvests. Then I "show" the timber to
> prospective buyers. As I walk around showing the marked trees, if any
> trees have even a little nail in it 10' off the ground, I can be SURE
> that all the loggers will point this out and say "I hope you deducted
> your board foot tally on that tree with the nail it." A spike is not
> invisible and it is going to leave a hole if you drive it completely.
> How can it NOT be seen? I've never met a logger yet who isn't several
> times more intelligent than your typical state or federal forestry
> bureaucrat. <G> (dodging for cover). I'm serious about this. Around here
> most loggers are self employed businessmen- and it takes a LOT more
> smarts and hard work than being a paper shuffler. The only time they hit
> metal is when some idiot drove a nail into the tree 50 years ago, or a
> bullet. Even fencing isn't usually a problem because most of this metal
> is on boundaries and boundary trees shouldn't be cut anyways- and even
> then they can see remnants of the wire and cut ABOVE it leaving hideous
> looking high stumps; which is why I NEVER mark trees with old wire in
> it.

Aw, come on Joseph, bullet pocked pannelling is attractive in the den or
gun room.

Most of the metal in a tree will leave a scar, unless, as noted, a long
way back.  Modern metal will leave a callus, even the "stealth" ceramic
spike (how would you drive that one?) leaves a hole.  Small bits dont
usually hurt the mill or operaters.  Staples, fence wire, bullets, and
typical small nails will bust an insert, maybe throw some sparks.  But
16's and better can cause havoc.
--
Don Staples