120 new acres

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sun Oct 5 20:20:35 EST 1997

In article <19971004042600.AAA16401 at ladder01.news.aol.com>,
bobndwoods at aol.com (BOBNDWOODS) wrote:

> In the part of the country where Forest has acquired his land, the
> predominant softwood species is Loblolly pine.  At initial stockings of
> over 1,000 stems per acre they tend to stagnate in growth before they reach
> the first thinning.  Common practice is to plant 500-700 seedlings per
> acre, with some plantings as few as 300-400 seedlings per acre.  The point
> is that what works in the PNW or in Sweden may not apply in Louisiana.  On
> the other hand, it is interesting to know what you guys are doing.   :)

In Oregon the foresters recommend a stocking rate of 350 seedlings per
acre.  The general agreement among small timber owners is that the
recommended rate is too low by about half, so us little guys shoot for
around 800 trees per acre.  I dunno a blinking thing about loblolly,
but that's the facts of life about ponderosa and doug fir.

As Anders pointed out, close spacing suppresses lower branch growth in
young trees and forces a taller growth with more clear wood.  Pruning
is also becoming more common, though it is still far from universal.
If you can manufacture 17' of clear log it's a big paycheck, so lots
of small landowners are giving it a try.

When you put effort into raising timber, you don't sell stumpage.
Instead, you get it to the mill yourself and take the profit from
the improved grade.  If you let the mill cruise it and offer you
a fixed price, chances are you will get royally screwed.

-- Larry