120 new acres

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sun Oct 5 20:21:33 EST 1997

In article <01bccfd1$7c244ec0$3f13b4c1 at SE8R62600424.hel.se.pnu.com>,
"Anders Axelsson" <anders.axelsson at eu.pnu.com> wrote:

> We´d log minimum 60 years after planting and would expect to net 600-800
> KUSD
> not counting the income from 2-4 thinnings in the interim.Just for
> comparison.

Corporate plantations are logged on about a 60 to 70 year cycle where I
live, but the tax structure in the USA makes long cycle management of
individual holdings almost impossible.  We have a heavy inheritance tax
that has to be paid within 6 months of death, so if you plant at 50
and die at 80, your family either has to sell the land or log it and
start over.  It's a rare family that has the cash resources to pay the
inheritance tax without liquidating the estate.

The same ta structure has just about destroyed the family farm in the
USA.  Only about 2% of the population farms any more, and most rural
residents are just buying privacy and a view, not a means of production.

-- Larry