Research

Nick Ananin visfor at globalnet.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 16:44:18 EST 1997

I do work with a Scottish Utility Company. I have suggested use of
herbicides on the basis of cost efficiency. However there is some
resistance due to their environmental policy.
However I feel that controlled use could be beneficial. I envisage using
herbicides only directly under the lines (2-4m wide) and manage the
remainder of the wayleave area as coppice. The structural diversity
including open ground would provide great habitat (butterflies and insects
-> birds) and reduce costs. This would also result in reducing the impact
on the landscape!! --
Nick Ananin , Vision Forestry, Aberdeen, Scotland