120 new acres

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Oct 7 17:33:40 EST 1997

Don Staples wrote:

> Good thought.  My buyers like my marking because of consistency.  As we
> talked before, we dont grade our mark down here, to many markets looking
> for different products, so we tally stems by height (to merchantable
> diamter) and diameter.  Table reflects that in the bid package.  We do
> not offer our estimates on volume, to many games played by buyers as to
> what is consitered a "guarentee" if you even mention volume.  Pulpwood
> buyers will tell you that they didn't cut out when in reality they moved
> 75% as logs and only the culls and tops went into pulp wood.  Loggers
> will move logs as chip and saw to tell you the log volume did not fill
> out.  A game that most consultants opted out of by selling by the stem.

No volumes? Then how do you know your sale price per MBF? Or do you
actually figure it out but don't put it in the bid sheet? I give volumes
and say that's only an estimate, if you're short; too bad. Luckily they
never run short and if they did I wouldn't believe them because I build
in an overrun so they think I'm generous, then next time they bid higher
and it all comes out in the wash. <G> I've been told that all the mills
around here keep a ledger on the accuracy of each forester.