Poorly shaped black cherry trees

Jostnix jostnix at aol.com
Thu Oct 9 09:54:02 EST 1997

In article <61iidk$45f at senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>, michael at helium (Michael
Courtney) writes:

>I am considering
>leaving the poorly shaped cherry trees because my forester mentioned
>that mills sometimes get so desparate for cherry that they will
>still pay good money for poorly shaped trees/short logs.  Is it reasonable
>to expect that these poorly shaped cherry trees might be more valuable than
>the nicely shaped maple and poplar which would benefit from their removal?

Michael (and to others that need forestry information):

It is EXTREMELY important that you indicate where your trees are located
(US region).  I am assuming you are from the northeast by your post and
email address and I would be doing you a disservice answering your question
because I am from the south.

However, southern hardwoods do very poorly when thinned.  The reasons are
numerous to include epicormic sprouts and logging damage.  Hardwoods
develop rot after injury and this degrades them by several grades.

Be very careful if you thin a hardwood stand to be gentle on the existing
stand.  Hardwoods are very unforgiving when hurt.  I would never thin my
hardwood stand and would patch cut (also this depends on tree species
present, viable seed left, tolerance or intolerance).

After all this Ive convinced myself that your question can't be answered.
At least I tried...

Lots-o-luck

      )(
    ))}{((