Poorly shaped black cherry trees

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Fri Oct 10 22:33:28 EST 1997

In article <61iidk$45f at senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>,
michael at helium (Michael Courtney) wrote:

> I understand it's hard to guess about the value of trees 20 years from now,
> but I'd appreciate any comments.

On my land, I've decided there's no sense growing a defective tree.  If a
tree has an obvious problem, I thin it.  If I think it can recover, I leave
it.  Sometimes pruning helps.

Mr. Nix has a good point about damaging trees.  Don't peel any bark in
your thinning operation, or you will leave scars in the wood that will
cost you heavily at harvest.

-- Larry