Headwaters Forest Video Available

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Fri Oct 10 22:43:36 EST 1997

Paul Morgan <t2r6 at worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<61mmom$dv5 at bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...
> Not to change the subject, but isn't the spiking danger primarily at the
> mill, not in the woods?
> I'm not a logger, but I've done a decent amount of felling and sawing
> professional-size chainsaws on old boundary trees full of old metal and
> my experience, the steel used in nails is so mild, it is hard to tell
> you even hit it.   Although I've never hit anything larger than barbed
> and 16-penny nails, I would think any reasonably sharp chain should chew
> right through a spike.  I suspect that the danger in sawmills is due to
> combination of feed rate and large teeth where the body of the spike gets
> caught in the gullet of a tooth.
On a circle mill, nails usually mess up a couple of teeth.  Of course there
is associated downtime, which is expensive.  Depending on prior teeth
condition, they may have to be replaced.  Ceramic insulators used for
electric fence will destroy the teeth.  Fence and bullets have little to no
effect on saws.

Large metal, such as railroad spikes, or the 60d nails that were discussed
will rip shoulders off the saw.  On bandmills, they may shatter saws.  I
only know of a couple circle saws that shattered and this was due to
hitting a dog on the carriage.