Board Feet From Logs?

Jostnix jostnix at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 11:30:58 EST 1997

mcready at northernnet.com writes:

>Why do many environmentalists have log homes?  If we should 'save all our
>trees' why aren't they crying about all the trees wasted on their homes?

You just touched a nerve.  The assumption that if you are not a radical
EFer or a channeled political greenie you are not an environmentalist.
Please go to http://forestry.miningco.com/aa082497.htm  and read The
Environmentalist.

My contention is that the traditional environmentalist is trained at the
best forestry schools in the nation and work toward sustainability and
multiple-use.  Ugly words to some...

>Just out of curiousity, how many board feet of lumber is needed to build
>an average three bedroom house?

Rule of thumb is 10 mbf per average house...

> And, how many houses could you build with
>lumber made from a three bedroom log home?  (Always wanted to know this.)

Because of residues like slabs, kerf and other things you might not have
as much as you suspect.  But I get your drift and there is some irony that
some no-cut activists love their wood products.

>Wouldn't it be nice if educated foresters, not environmentalists, could
>manage our forests?  Forest management has come a long way since the
>clear-cutting of the early 1900s.

The fact is that foresters are everywhere.  Lets just get them vocal and
involved in a newsgroup like this.  Don't think for a minute the
alternative movements are skipping the internet as a forum...

      )(
    ))}{((
``````) (_________John Stephen Nix
http://forestry.miningco.com