Intensive Plantations

Paul Morgan t2r6 at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 14 06:25:33 EST 1997

Anders Axelsson wrote in article
<01bcd48e$026131e0$3f13b4c1 at SE8R62600424.hel.se.pnu.com>...

>Paul Morgan <t2r6 at worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
><61eq4f$bgq at bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>> 2) Plant 8x8, but at each thinning plant a shade tolerant tree to replace
>> each thinned tree.
>Given your objective (avoid the clear-cut) I´d go for alternative 2,with
>the addition that I´d prune only the finest
>pines in a 14x14 pattern.By planting 5x7, as we do, you`d further increase
>the chances
>of having pines that are worth pruning.Your shade-resistant trees would
>impede the
>final harvest and most likely get damaged too,but if you want a forest for
>your great-
>grandchildren to play in,it`s a great idea.
>
>AA

Do you know if  the 14x14 pattern is feasible in Maine?

I've done some harvesting with a old JD crawler and am pretty sure I can
thin/harvest with minimal damage with 8' spacing.  My heart says to get a
couple of Belgians which should handle the 7' spacing.

I've got some work to do on the shade-tolerants.  I've seen what appear to
be perfectly healthy, 2' tall Balsam Firs under 70 year old pasture spruces
that have more than 30 rings as well as 2-3" diameter rock maples 30' tall
poking above 20' tall spruce canopies.  Neither of these, of course, would
do me much good.

I've read some where that  fertilizing is typically not done in the north as
the payback time is too great.  Even if this is true, I'm going to try it
and keep some records to see what the difference is.

Paul