Board Feet From Logs?

Thomas Kellar tkellar at FSP.FSP.COM
Tue Oct 14 12:05:42 EST 1997

> mcready at northnnet.com wrote:
>   Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:
> > mcready at northernnet.com wrote:
> > > Environmentalists are always harping about save the white pine, save the
> > > red pine, save this tree, etc.  They have recently calls for 'zero-cut' in
> > > National Forests, which to me doesn't represent forest management at all.
> > If all cutting on National Forests was stopped, the timber prices on
> > private land would go up, and since I sell timber off private land- my
> > fees would go up- so if I want to be selfish which of course is the WAY
> > in our greedy capitalist society - I should encourage stopping such
> > National Forest harvesting. <G>
> > > Why do many environmentalists have log homes?  If we should 'save all our
> > > trees' why aren't they crying about all the trees wasted on their homes?
> > Very few environmentalists say all harvesting should stop on National
> > Forests, most say it could be done better.
> But the ones calling for zero-cut are the loudest.
> > > Wouldn't it be nice if educated foresters, not environmentalists, could
> > > manage our forests?  Forest management has come a long way since the
> > > clear-cutting of the early 1900s.
> > Ya know, there is no reason why this distinction should be made between
> > foresters and environmentalists. It's foolish and backward thinking.
> > We're all environmentalists. A friend of mine in the USFS once used the
> > word "environmentalist" as if describing some loathsome creature- some
> > despicable communist. Foresters should give up this primitive
> > perspective. No wonder foresters have such a bad reputation as
> > Neanderthals among environmentalists. Foresters will get more respect in
> > the society at large if they BECOME "environmental foresters". Or to use
> > the motto of Microsoft- "embrace and extend". Seize their thunder by
> > listenting to what they have to say, then LEAD.
> Exactly!  We're all environmentalists.	We care about our surroundings,
> we just don't carry it to the extremes.

Personally, I think you missed the point of Forestmeister.

"we just don't carry it to extremes" Jesus, what a comment.  The ones who
rag about wanting logging on public lands are quite often the ones that
benefit from it.  Possibly seeking out sweet heart deals with the current
leaders of our government.  Possibly cheating the tax payers-who own the
land-out of their fair due.

Thomas
tkellar at fsp.fsp.com
    How can I wear the harness of toil, and sweat at the daily round,
     While in my soul forever The drums of Pictdom sound? - REHoward