Chlorophyll mystery! Help please

Hansatech Instruments Ltd. serving the Plant Sciences. info at hansinst.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 07:24:11 EST 1997

I think that you are describing chlorophyll fluorescence.

When light is aborsorbed by chlorophyll, the molecules electronic
configuration is altered. This "excited" configuration is unstable and
the molecule returns to ground state rather rapidly. This return to
ground state can occur by the emission of red / far-red light; a
phenomena usually referred to as chlorophyll fluorescence.

If anyone is interested there is a picture of this effect on our web-
site with information on some of the instrumentation and applications
associated with fluorescence measurement.

--
Hansatech Instruments Ltd.
Narborough Road, Pentney,

Tel: ++44 1760 338877