Board Feet From Logs?

Lucifer f94m at unb.ca
Fri Oct 17 18:50:07 EST 1997

mcready at northernnet.com wrote:

> Environmentalists are always harping about save the white pine, save the
> red pine, save this tree, etc.  They have recently calls for 'zero-cut' in
> National Forests, which to me doesn't represent forest management at all.
>
> Why do many environmentalists have log homes?  If we should 'save all our
> trees' why aren't they crying about all the trees wasted on their homes?
>
> Just out of curiousity, how many board feet of lumber is needed to build
> an average three bedroom house?  And, how many houses could you build with
> lumber made from a three bedroom log home?  (Always wanted to know this.)
>
> I would think log homes would be an 'awful waste' of trees!  But, you
> don't hear the environmentalists call for the banning of log homes they
> live in.  They just want you to stop cutting trees to build other people's
> houses.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if educated foresters, not environmentalists, could
> manage our forests?  Forest management has come a long way since the
> clear-cutting of the early 1900s.

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet
You need to know the size of the house, average diameter f the logs
used, and the approximate number of logs used in the construction of the
house.
I suspect you can get another house of approximately the same size if
the wood was futher processed.
--
The strangeness of my actions are porprotional
to the 'normality' surrounding me.