EF! case histories.

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Oct 21 11:59:49 EST 1997

Don Staples wrote:

> Court Cases involving eco-terrorists
>             (From the EcoTerror Response Network Web Site)
>
>    October 3 1996. Helena, Montana. Earth Firster Ronald J. Constable,
>    27, was sentenced in federal court to one year in a federal
>    penitentiary, $200 in restitution, one year of supervised probation
>    and 500 hours of community service for tree spiking in an October
> 1993
>    incident near Essex, Montana (see 1993). Constable was permanently
>    prohibited from entering any state or federal public lands. In June
>    1996 he became the first person to be convicted under a 1988 federal
>    law against tree spiking. An undercover agent found Earth First
>    literature in his possession. Constable admitted affiliation with
>    Earth First. Tree-spiking conviction a first, Helena Independent
>    Record, Saturday, October 5, 1996, by Mark Goldstein, p. 1A.

So, a $200 restitution- sounds fair. A year in jail? I call that
conservative-terrorism. <G>

>    March 21 1996. Long Creek Ranger District, Malheur National Forest,
>    Oregon. Earth Firsters calling themselves "Cascadia Rising" blocked
>    Forest Service Road 4555 leading to the Reed Fire Salvage Timber
> Sale.
>    They blocked the road with a Chevy pickup truck turned on its side
> and
>    a tripod of poles with an activist hanging from the tip, a tactic
>    known as "hippie on a stick". The blockage prevented Malheur Lumber
>    Company logging crews from getting to their work site and kept
>    numerous recreationists from camping and hiking sites. The leader was
>    long-time Earth Firster Asante Riverwind (alias of Michael Christian,
>    date of birth February 4, 1953) of the Blue Mountain Biodiversity
>    Project, accompanied by Jessica Hinton and Steven E. Hazlett and ten
>    others (unidentified). On Sunday, July 14, 1996, Forest Service Law
>    Enforcement Officer Gale Wall made contact with Riverwind in the
>    Malheur National Forest and gave him five Notices of Violation for
> his
>    leadership of and participation in the March incident. Riverwind
>    refused the notices and Officer Wall mailed them to his address in
>    Fossil, Oregon, certified return receipt requested. The total cost to
>    the taxpayer of the incident including road cleanup was $15,886.60.
>    Freedom of Information Act file # 6270-1-1 (96-193-MBS).
>    Assistant U.S. Attorney Barry Sheldal filed an Information against
>    Riverwind, who entered a guilty plea to one count of blocking a road.
>    On May 8, 1997, Federal Judge Ancer Hagerty of the United States
>    District Court in Portland, Oregon, ordered Riverwind to pay a $300
>    fine, $252.52 restitution and a $25 fee assessment, and placed him on
>    probation until restitution was paid. Riverwind paid the next day.
>    Case No. 9757. W. Alton Jones Foundation contributed $13,140.00 to
>    Riverwind's Blue Mountain Biodiversity Project in 1995 and $18,000 in
>    1996.

What, no jail sentence for this TERRORIST? Shoulda hung'em. He's a major
threat to civilization.

> [...]
> pleaded
>    guilty in federal court to misdemeanor charges of spiking trees in
>    Idaho. They agreed to testify against three others accused in a
>    tree-spiking March 29, 1989. Accused were John Blount, Jeffrey C.
>    Fairchild and Daniel A. LaCrosse. Hartley and McLain both admitted
>    that they put metal spikes in trees with the intent to hinder a
> timber
>    sale in the Post Office Creek area of the Clearwater National Forest
>    near Powell, Idaho. Two Plead Guilty To Spiking Trees To Stop Sales
> In
>    Idaho, Portland Oregonian, Saturday, June 5, 1993, from correspondent
>    and wire reports, p. B8.
>

>    8/13/92. Cove/Mallard, Idaho. Three Earth First activists pleaded
>    guilty to criminal trespass and spent 9 days in jail for locking
>    themselves to road-construction equipment in Nez Perce National
>    Forest. Tree-spiking discovered in old-growth timber stand nearby.
> The
>    three had been charged with resisting arrest, obstructing justice and
>    injury to a vehicle. Each was fined $100 and sentenced to 60 days in
>    jail. Earth First! Activists Get Out of Jail - Trio Had Chained
> Selves
>    To Road Construction Gear In Idaho; Spiked Tree Found Nearby, Rocky
>    Mountain News, Thursday August 13, 1992, by Associated Press, p. 1.
>

>    6/13/91. Murphysboro, Illinois. Three Earth Firsters, Rene Cook of
>    Murphysboro, John Wallace of Waterloo and Thomas Herb of Carbondale
>    were convicted on misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct,
>    obstruction and criminal trespass. Three convicted in timber protest,
>    Southern Illinoisian, June 13, 1991, by Phil Brinkman, p. 1A.
>

>    7/16/90. Gallatin County, Montana. Earth Firster Lyn Lee Georges
>    Dessaux arrested on two counts of misdemeanor assault, one for
>    multiple stabbings of Dan R. Jacobs of Kalispell with a ski pole, the
>    other for multiple stabbings of Hal Slemmer of Billings with a ski
>    pole, in a Fund for Animals protest on March 17 to disrupt the
> buffalo
>    hunt near West Yellowstone. Dessaux became so violent that the animal
>    rights video camera operator documenting the scene stopped taping and
>    screamed at Dessaux to stop. Dessaux was found guilty on both counts
>    February 8, 1991 in a jury trial in Justice Court in Bozeman (Case
>    Number CR90-0963). Justice of the Peace Scott Wyckman sentenced
>    Dessaux to 6 months in Gallatin County Jail, suspended to 45 days.
>    Dessaux was released after 28 days on condition he perform community
>    service with the Humane Society in lieu of paying court debts, but
> the
>    shelter rejected his help. Sentence in the case of The State of
>    Montana v. Lyn Georges Dessaux, Case Number CR90-0963, February 8,
>    1991. Shelter Rejects Bison Activist - Humane Society Wont Take His
>    Help, Bozeman Daily Chronicle, Saturday, March 9, 1991, by The

OK, now that we see these ecoterrorists got what was due to them. Now,
how about those good clean white booze guzling, gun stroking, Christian
folk that enslaved the blacks, murdered the Indians by the millions,
polluted almost every river in the country, poisoned the air, clearcut
billions of acres, eroded countless mountainsides, and recently
"downsized" millions of workers and exported their jobs, droped
25,000,000 tons of bombs on peasants in southeast Asia, stole a half
trillion bucks from the savings and loans, etc. ad infinitum. THESE ARE
THE REAL ECCOTERRORISTS, not a few hippies with a few spikes. No jail
terms for them.

--
http://forestmeister.com
"The ONLY forester's web page in the otherwise sophisticated state of