Goodbye to Foresters?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Mon Oct 27 18:47:02 EST 1997

In article <01bce134$ce2aed40$2b547ec2 at default>,
"Nick Ananin" <visfor at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

> So what if some want to go ALT.
> My ISP still does not carry ALT.Forestry - in which case many other ISP's
> worldwide also won't. Therefore going ALT is surely for the exclusive bunch
> and not those who want to have global communication. I agree "Agroforestry"
> is not the ideal title but lets plan for the future - what about
> SCI.Forestry?

Hi Nick,

There was an attempt to creat sci.forestry about three months ago, and it
failed because there weren't enough votes.  Bionet.agroforestry has been
the only forestry forum on usenet, and it simply doesn't generate enough
posts with enough readers to create a big 8 group.  Sci.forestry only
collected about 70 YES votes.

I agree that alt.forestry is horribly propagated.  I posted the control
newgroup message, and I had to request that MY provider add the group
manually.  We hope to gradually improve propagation by sending booster
newgroup messages from other points in the usenet distribution.  I have
a couple volunteers, but haven't activated them yet because we need to
space out the newgroup booster posts.

In the meantime, we just need to send email to ISP's to get them to add
the group, or wait for postmasters to sort through the blizzard of alt
newgroups to discover alt.forestry.  Have patience.  We're still working
on propagation.

-- Larry