ACF Weekly Update

dstaples at livingston.net dstaples at livingston.net
Fri Oct 31 13:41:03 EST 1997

The following is an update from the National Office
regarding its activities for the past week. Chapter
Chairs please distribute this information to your
chapter members.  This is Update is being transmitted by
electronic mail to all ACF members who have electronic
mail capabilities.  If you are currently receiving this
via fax and would like to receive it via email, please
send the national office an electronic message stating
so.

Activities for this week:

  Planning for New Hampshire Meeting

   Preparations for a Chapter building meeting were
   made.  ACF members in New Hampshire and Maine will
   meet in Concord, New Hampshire, October 21.

  Certification discussion with Forest Service State
   and Private Employee

   Mike Higgs of State and Private Forestry called to
   discuss the article on certification  I wrote for the
   "Consultant."  Mike Higgs attended the NCPF meeting
   October 16 and presented information regarding the
   Forest Service's position on Certification (See
   October 17 Week Update).   The Forest Service
   directed Higgs  to investigate Certification programs
   that either exist or are under development.

   Higg's underlying message, and one probably that
   exists with many in the Forest Service, was that
   regardless of what the program may be, if it gets
   landowners to actively manage timber then everyone
   should embrace it.  In response, I told Higgs that
   economics should be a major consideration of using
   any program.  Higgs was not understanding my point
   that "Certification" programs cost landowners money
   and at this time their is very little or no return
   for their investment.  Thus, there is little
   incentive to seekcertification.

   This conversation illustrates the persistence by some
   within Government at the National level to pursue
   forest certification, and why the National Office is
   confronting this issue as much as it is.  Meanwhile,
   at the landowner and local level there is little or
   no interest for certification.

  American Cyanamid Proposal For Annual Meeting

   Mark Stober, who works for American Cyanamid's
   advertising agency - Dudnyk, contacted the National
   Office to provide an update on the efforts to develop
   a presentation for the 1998 ACF Annual meeting.
   Stober has developed a concept proposal from the
   information he obtained while meeting with the
   Strategic Planning Committee in Memphis earlier this
   month.  His current idea is to hire a Business
   Consultant to make a presentation to members
   attending this year's annual meeting and provide
   printed material on how to improve their marketing to
   potential clients.  More information will follow as
   it becomes available.

  American Cyanamid Planning Special Tour to
   Yellowstone

   Representatives of Dudnyk Advertising Agency have
   approached the ACF with a proposal to have American
   Cyanamid host a bus trip to Yellowstone Park next
   summer during the ACF Annual Meeting.  This trip will
   be available to any member on a first come-first
   serve basis.  More information on this proposed tour
   will be available when registration materials are
   distributed for the Annual Meeting.

  West Virginia "Moonlighting" Not Within USDA Forest
   Services Jurisdiction

   I reported earlier on a Moonlighting Brochure that is
   under development by the West Virginia Division of
   Forestry.  The brochure is aimed at state forestry
   employees who moonlight on the weekend as consulting
   foresters.  The Forest Service notified that National
   Office that, after discussing the situation with
   agency lawyers, they have determined they have no
   jurisdiction of over state agencies and can be of no
   help in this issue.  Alternative approaches will be
   followed to deal with this issue.

  Appraisal Victory

   I contacted the AQB this week to learn the fate of
   the AQB's draft interpretations regarding appraisal
   experience. The AQB, in an apparent reconsideration
   of its earlier intentions, have bowed to pressure
   from the ACF and decided to use the language
   recommended by the ACF.

   The following is the rule as it will now apply to
   real estate appraisals experience credit:

   "Real property appraisal experience credit should be
   awarded for appraisals of real estate components or
   interests unless the appraiser has not complied with
   USPAP Standards 1 and 2."

   The ACF originally testified because of its concern
   with language found in Section lll.A.3.b. par. 5 & 6
   pertaining to experience credits for appraisals of
   timber interests (refer to p. 28).

   In draft proposal Paragraph 5 stated  " . . .
   experience credit should not be given for appraisals
   of, or quantifications of, marketable minerals,
   timber, growing crops, or other severable interests,
   if predicated on an assumption that the buyer will
   sever the components from the land."

   Paragraph 6 stated the corollary that experience
   credits should be given for appraisals of properties
   that include timber if it includes either the timber
   with the associated land, or, the associated land
   under an assumption that the timber has been severed
   to the extent precisely described in the appraisal
   report.

   The final version was practically verbatim to the
   last statement I made to the AQB.  As they were
   wrapping up discussion on the issue, they asked me
   how I thought the final version should read.  I
   simply stated that experience should be given for
   real estate appraisals that comply with USPAP
   Standards 1 and 2.

   Thanks and congratulations to all who assisted on
   this effort.

This concludes this update.

--
Don Staples