Choosing a forester

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Sep 11 14:09:37 EST 1997

Michael Courtney wrote:

> I am choosing a forester to help me sell some trees to a logging company.
> What should I look for in a forester and what questions should I ask?
>
> --
> Michael Courtney, Ph. D.
> michael at amo.mit.edu

Along with what Joseph has said, when you talk to the different
consultants, listen to what they are asking.  They should be concerned
with the land further down the road, they should ask your goals in
management, they should offer to assist in developing goals if you are a
new owner.  The consultant who comes in, sells your timber and
disappears is not a long term consultant, he is an opportunist.

And foremost, they should be able to talk to you about your property as
a whole, and not just a sale.

Here in Texas the difference between a consultant and an opportunist is
best stated as:  You can skin a sheep once, but nuture it and you can
shear often.  I have clients where the next harvest is 30 years down the
road, well past my active career, yet they are my clients in all
aspects.  The consultants credentials should not have an interest in a
logging or milling operation listed.  Ask them for referrals.

You don't have to be as careful selecting a consultant as you would a
heart surgeon, but often it can be more expensive and painful.

And be aware that there are forestry consultants, and consulting
foresters.  Run from the first bunch and talk to the second.
--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/