The answer- clearcutting is good sometimes

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Wed Sep 17 15:04:27 EST 1997

Don Staples wrote:

> Joseph Zorzin wrote:
>
> > I rest my case.
>
> Not yet, bubba, you missed a couple of points.
>

> And if you stay in consulting and try to feed the family, send the kids
> to college, you end up doing what you often find  not to your own
> liking, just to pay bills.  I don't like clear cutting, for any reason
> other than clearing out the excaped invaders, Chinese Tallow trees are
> taking over east Texas, and you cant get rid of them.  But, I end up
> clear cutting some tracts because that is what the owner wants, and that
> is what I get paid for, service.  Convictions fail when the bills are
> due.  Oh, I build houses on the side, sometimes in the front, depends on
> business.

Now, now, no need to appologise for clearcutting. <G>

I've done a few myself and I'm an old tree hugging hippy flower child
liberal fan of H.D. Thoreau. Sometimes it's the best thing to do. Around
here we have a lot of very poor quality stands that have been high
graded countless times since my anscestors came off the Mayflower....
Actually they came before the Mayflower with my great Uncle Chris
Columbo. These clearcut stands will always grow back much better without
any planting- since hardwoods will come in more abundantly than we even
want. Erosion is never a problem here as the ground is full of rocks ..
in fact it mostly is rocks- the farmers best crop.

So Don, when are we going to do some stand up on Saturday Night Live? I
can see it now... "Now ladies and gentlemen- its the those 2 crazy
forestry consultants, that old Yankee and the old Texan." I'll have on
my flannel shirt and wool hat and you wear your cowboy outfit. We'll
have the late night crowd in stitches.