Headwaters Forest Video Available

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sun Sep 21 21:31:28 EST 1997

catherine yronwode wrote:

> Because a bandsaw can cut through as many as FIVE spikes before it
> weakens enough to snap when it hits a spike -- and he and his fellow
> crew members had hit MANY spikes with that particular saw band on that
> day and had asked the mill owner to replace the band. The mill owner
> refused and ordered them back to work. Eventually the band snapped and
> hurt the sawyer. It is important to note that this mill already had a
> higher-than-average injury rate among sawyers due to poor maintenance of
> other equipment when the incident occurred.

Catherine, darlin'.  And where did the spikes come from? The causal
agent of the missing hand was the band saw blade, the causal agent of
the broken band saw blade was the spiking of the timber.  I don't know
the full story, but have seen properly maintained mills, new blades,
etc, brake when hitting a simple 16 penny nail.  In the south, one
telephone insulator (Yep, old days they hung them suckers from the
trees) can destroy a blade.  High speed, high temper blades do not do
well coming into contact with metal objects in wood.

--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/