Trees in the riparian zone (Trees and water resources).

Jostnix jostnix at
Wed Sep 24 18:02:32 EST 1997

>There are some who allege that all trees should be cleared from the
>   banks of streams and rivers as this will increase water flow; (trees
>   use the water).

I want to say this is the stupidest thing I've heard in years.  I wont.
Its the dumbest thing I've heard in years.

Yes.  It will increase the flow of water. But it will also increase water
siltation and non-pollution and temperature.  All bad for water quality.
You have to have a streamside management zone-providing filtration and shade.

PLEASE go to and look under Net Finds for
BMPs.  This is Florida's BMP program but who knows more about water than

Steve Nix, Forestry Guide
The Mining Company
``````) (_________John Stephen Nix
Alabama Forestry Link...