Trees in the riparian zone (Trees and water resources).

Jostnix jostnix at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 18:02:32 EST 1997

>There are some who allege that all trees should be cleared from the
>   banks of streams and rivers as this will increase water flow; (trees
>   use the water).

I want to say this is the stupidest thing I've heard in years.  I wont.
Its the dumbest thing I've heard in years.

Yes.  It will increase the flow of water. But it will also increase water
siltation and non-pollution and temperature.  All bad for water quality.
You have to have a streamside management zone-providing filtration and shade.

PLEASE go to http://forestry.miningco.com and look under Net Finds for
BMPs.  This is Florida's BMP program but who knows more about water than
Florida.

Steve Nix, Forestry Guide
The Mining Company

      )(