Trees From Seeds

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Wed Sep 24 18:02:18 EST 1997

In article <608e9f$1g9 at senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>,
michael at helium (Michael Courtney) wrote:

> My question is how does one plant, say, a seed from a sugar maple?
> Will it just grow or does it need to be dried or sit on the ground over
> the winter?

Have you actually tried any?  I had great luck with both black walnut
and english walnut just plunking them in some dirt in a box on the north
side of the house and waiting until spring.  I got about 80% germination.
Not all the nuts germinated at the same time.

Another way of generating trees that is real easy is to propagate cuttings.
Cut new growth, dip it in rooting hormone, and heel the cutting into
a sand/loam/vermiculite mix in a cool location.  Cover and wait until
spring, then expose the top of the cutting so it can grow leaves.  You
have to keep it moist until the roots are well established, so covered
in clear plastic in the shade is best.

Some seeds do need to freeze before they will germinate.  If you plant
them shallow in the fall, they'll find their moment by spring.  This is
not rocket science.

-- Larry

Cave ab homine unius libri.