Research

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Wed Sep 24 19:28:54 EST 1997

Brett Nodello <v7re at unb.ca> wrote in article <34288AB9.305A at unb.ca>...
> Well, I'm not a professor but (student actually) I am involved in a
> research project.  I am doing research for a professor involving Power
> line right-of-ways.  I am trying to determine which cutting method is
> more beneficial between manual (brush saws) or mechanized (Hydroaxe).
> We are looking at height, species, plot density, and stump sprout per
> stump.  I have really just got started on the project so I can't really
> say how it is going.  If anyone is interested I will post any thing new.
>
> Brett Nodello
> "The Woodlot"
> http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/1039/

I did some work for West Penn Power in Western PA.  I was doing surveys
under the 350 KW lines.  Understory was predominantely blackberries, black
cherry, and elm.  I worked with each of their foresters.  The one with the
most success used herbicides, although I can't recall which type.  He
applied one year, then reapplied 2 yrs later.  His R/W were the nicest of
all, with no understory invading, just grass.  He did this on some pretty
steep terrain.  If I was doing research, I'd ask the guys who are doing the
work.

RDW