Sawmill Lumber Grade Shortcourse

K.T. Wieringa ktw at solaria.sol.net
Fri Sep 26 12:08:01 EST 1997

In article <01bcc94c$ee6ab7c0$428792cd at woodtick.lebmofo.com>, "Ron Wenrich" <woodtick at lebmofo.com> wrote:

>Here's a novel idea:  Why not actually teach foresters while they are in
>school!  We never went to any type of lumbering operation, even though the
>university had their own sawmill.

Waste of time.  Simply an introduction at best.  We went to a sawmill during
school.  Doesn't mean that I would trust of of those students to grade logs
for me immediately after.  It's a lot like dendrology, you're not going to
learn a lot about tree species or log grades in a quarter or a semester; it's
something that, to really learn, you have to pick up over time looking at lots
of trees and lots of logs.  Spending time in a sawmill periodically throughout
your carreer is invaluable.

>Consultants do not estimate log grades.  Mostly, because they can't.

We (as consultants) have always graded, both logs and stumpage for any client
who asks us to.  Few ask for grade estimates of standing trees during an
inventory due to the additional costs involved.

I refuse to offer grade information on a stumpage prospectus, I'm not
guaranteeing volume or grade recovery on a sale and prefer to force potential
buyers to make their own estimates of grade.

Todd Wieringa, Mgr, Field Operations
George Banzhaf & Company
P.O. Box 112, Ironwood, MI  49938