Research

Brett Nodello v7re at unb.ca
Sun Sep 28 01:23:20 EST 1997

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> Brett Nodello <v7re at unb.ca> wrote in article <34288AB9.305A at unb.ca>...
> > Well, I'm not a professor but (student actually) I am involved in a
> > research project.  I am doing research for a professor involving Power
> > line right-of-ways.  I am trying to determine which cutting method is
> > more beneficial between manual (brush saws) or mechanized (Hydroaxe).
> > We are looking at height, species, plot density, and stump sprout per
> > stump.  I have really just got started on the project so I can't really
> > say how it is going.  If anyone is interested I will post any thing new.
> >
> > Brett Nodello
> > "The Woodlot"
> > http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/1039/
> >

> I did some work for West Penn Power in Western PA.  I was doing surveys
> under the 350 KW lines.  Understory was predominantely blackberries, black
> cherry, and elm.  I worked with each of their foresters.  The one with the
> most success used herbicides, although I can't recall which type.  He
> applied one year, then reapplied 2 yrs later.  His R/W were the nicest of
> all, with no understory invading, just grass.  He did this on some pretty
> steep terrain.  If I was doing research, I'd ask the guys who are doing the
> work.
>
> RDW
New Brunswick Power is in charge of what method is used to clear the
brush under the power lines.  NB Power does not use herbicide, due to
what I believe is public pressure (I'm not sure though).  I did see
several sites that were herbicided in northern Manitoba, but I don't
think "nice" is the adjective I would use to describe them (nor would I
use it to describe work done by a hydroaxe or brush saw crew).

Brett Nodello
The Woodlot