A fungus among us

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Tue Sep 30 12:21:34 EST 1997

J C Cooper wrote:

> We have a fungus on the trunks of our trees. It is on them all. Makes no
> difference what kind of tree. A recent visitor said it would kill all the
> trees. How do we get rid of fungus? I do not know how to describe it, but I
> have seen the same thing on trees everywhere. Kinda looks like moss wrapped
> very tight around the tree. Could someone help out with the what, where and
> when. Thanks.
> --
> That's my story and I'm stickin to it!!!
>
> JC down in Gnat Flats, Texas

Don't worry about it, could be any number of mosses, including an
interesting specimen that eventually looks a little like a fern.  Should
be no problem other than the unusually wet year we have been having.

Set back, enjoy your trees, enjoy your Gnats, then come to deep east
Texas and see what real fungus looks like.  (Little green men are not
from Mars, they are from the Big Thicket in east Texas, where everything
that doesn't stick, bite, poison or feed on you, turns green. I just
love the sub-tropics)
--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/