China Timber Imports (Fwd)

JimiFromMI jimifrommi at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 02:28:16 EST 1998

In article <3520C5E8.2E1206F5 at forestmeister.com>, Joseph Zorzin
<redoak at forestmeister.com> writes:

>Hmmmm.... You're tempting me to give a dissertation but I'll refrain.

Thank you very much! <g>

>However, I do believe the net is democracy at work. We're all equal
>here- gov. and private foresters, forest techs., loggers, landowners,
>forestry professors, environmentalists and others. We don't judge people
>by their clothes and how expensive their car is. And we don't respect
>titles here. You make it or don't based on what you say. This is the
>Roman Forum. It's revolutionary. Viva la revolution!
>
>But the Society of American Foresters is the typical "top down
>hierarchy" structured like a bureaucracy. All such large structured
>organizations move slow, since so much energy goes into maintaining the
>structure itself. It often takes years to do things that should take
>minutes. Before long such organizations become sclerotic, unable and
>unwilling to respond to the times. Two years ago I asked my state
>forestry agency to update their list of foresters by adding email and
>web addresses. They replied, "But we only update the list once each
>year." They recently told me that the list is finally going to be
>updated. They probably had to have several meetings to discuss this huge
>project, that should have taken 5 minutes. <G>
>
>Although Bill Gates gets attacked from all directions, and I do agree
>with the critics that nobody is worth 40 billion dollars, I do respect
>him for overthrowing the "old regime" of IBM and the vast bureaucracies
>that loved those mainframes. And in his company, he really doesn't care
>what you look like, how you dress, and all the other bullshit that is so
>important in most of our society. Being related to or friendly with a
>politician will get you nowhere in Microsoft. Gates only cares about
>what you produce.

WRONG!
Don't think for a minute that brother Bill doesn't invest in political
"friendliness".  Especially in light of all the bashers out there that would
have his company defined as a monopoly (or those that just believe that
someone's income should be capped for some reason).