Seed mix for trails after timber harvest??

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Thu Apr 2 14:21:25 EST 1998

This is fron the wrong end of the country but the general ideas may
help.  I use an annual rye for short term shading and mix in whatever
I can find from our NRCS erosion control recipe.  I admit, I've never
gotten the entire mix together at the same time.
 Here are recipes for "Coastal" and "Foothill" mixes.   Amounts are
pounds/acre.  (Hope the columns work)
ryegrass		15		15
tall fescue		18		-
creeping red fescue	8		12
bentgrass		1		-
big trefoil		4		-
birdsfoot trefoil	-		8
white clover		-		2
sickle keeled lupine	20		20

The lupine is a big hulking plant. Highway Depts around here use vetch
or alfalfa instead (which escapes and dominated river beds all over
the place). Good luck!
birdsfoot trefoil