prunning trees

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Thu Apr 9 20:20:59 EST 1998

In article <352C0C1D.1656 at somtel.com>, alan haley <ahaley at somtel.com> wrote:

> I have been spending free time prunning the fir,spruce, cedar and pine
> that are growing on a lot that I recently pruchased.  Although it takes
> up hours of time, I enjoy it.  My wife has recently started insisting
> that I spend more time on profitable things (like working in the yard or
> barn).  I insist that this will pay off in the long run, like in 20
> years or so.   Is this so?  In what ways will the growth be better for
> the prunning and is it really cost effective considering the days that I
> spend.  Also, are there any rules of thumb for a height to prune.

All my comments are good for softwoods like fir and pine.  I know nothing
about pruning hardwoods.

You will get a substantial price premium for 17' clear logs IF you
get paid for the logs based on grade at the mill.  If you sell them
as stumpage you will probably get screwed.

The profit of pruning is iffy.  I have gone to just pruning during the
holiday season, when I can sell the boughs as Christmas greens.  Also,
you should probably buy a chainsaw on a pole so you can prune 17' while
standing flat footed on the ground.  If you start climbing ladders you
will waste too much time.  To make it profitable you have to move pretty
fast.

-- Larry