Closing USFS Roads

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Wed Apr 15 12:44:41 EST 1998

Al Stangenberger wrote:

> For real expensive road closure, I'll bet the National Park Service's work
> closing old logging roads in Redwood National Park must have set a record.
> They didn't just rip the roadbed and pull out the culverts -- in addition they
> re-contoured the hillsides to completely eliminate all trace of the road
> cuts!

For the redwoods, it's good investment. They really are special and
should be treated that way.

The hiking I did in the Redwood Park in N. CA was of all time favorite
experiences. I was amazed at how spongy and deep the forest floor's
"duff" was- and it was full of holes, I was really concerned I'd fall
in. It made me feel as if I was in that film, "Honey I Shrunk the Kids".
I expected to see a truck sized ant.

> I saw some time-lapse movies of one of their projects, and it was kind of
> neat to see the whole project compressed into a short film clip!  Big
> earthmovers and D-9 cats running around like ants...

I'd love to see that. Do you have any info on how to find a copy of that
film clip?

I'd love to see something similar whereby a commercial strip is turned
back into a real live ecosystem. <G>

JZ

--
http://forestmeister.com