Closing USFS Roads

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Wed Apr 15 23:31:19 EST 1998

In article <353524cc.0 at news.pacifier.com>,
  dhogaza at pacifier.com (Don Baccus) wrote:

> In article <3534FD53.7110 at livingston.net>,
> Don Staples  <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote:
>
> >Would you like to see a copy of my engineering grades?  Stick with the
> >assumption that some of us know a little about what we speak.
>
> Post as though you're using your knowledge, and I'll respond in like
> manner.
>
> >Besides,
> >a computer guru and photographer is telling me about engineering?
>
> I have to teach you about biology, too...
>
> >Closure and left alone will not effect the environment one way or the
> >other...
>
> Tell that to fisheries biologists working on salmon bearing streams
> in the PNW.
> --

Don, you may be a wonderful engineer of roads...in Texas.

Oregon is a different can of worms. Documented hundreds of landslides along a
single stream bed less than 10 miles long after heavy rains. These slopes
should _not_ have roadways into them. Many companies locally make more money
constructing roads than harvesting trees. And after clearcutting, the lands
have frequent slides: twice as often as without clearcutting.

Said slides add to extreme siltation of salmon-bearing and other anadromous
fish. Not many salmon in Texas. ;)

Bottom line: heavy rainfall, steep and unstable slopes make many of the
remaining sites too expensive to log. Added to the overharvest of the past 30
years, and you have a situation that demands some stopping "the insanity."

Daniel B. Wheeler