Closing USFS Roads

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Sat Apr 18 17:31:50 EST 1998

In article <353926ec.0 at news.pacifier.com>,
Don Baccus <dhogaza at pacifier.com> wrote:

>The project was so bad that the project manager,
>Fred Brooks, wrote a book called "The Mythological Man-Month",

Oops, sorry, "The Mythical Man-Month".

I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in the management
of large-scale technical projects that require technological
innovation for success.   Though specifically about a software
project with thousands of project members, the discussion is
really about the management of large technical projects in
general.  Mismanagement, actually.  And it's funny, the
author, who happens to be the unfortunate leader of this project,
has a great sense of self-deprecating humor.

Also, some would argue that the Manhattan Project was a great
success, though perhaps more of a research project than an
engineeering project (there were large-scale elements of each
discipline).  I think many professionals would argue that
Apollo and the Manhattan Project are the two rivals for
best-managed engineering projects in history.  Apollo, though,
had much more severe constraints on budget and resources,
while Leslie Grove pretty much had the power to throw whatever
resources he needed at various problems.

Both of these were government run...

Oh well, I'll stop now.