THE GREAT INTERNET FORESTRY DEBATE OF '98 - INTRODUCTION

Larry Harrell fotoware at jps.net
Sun Apr 19 10:30:48 EST 1998

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in article
<353A0E8F.69221583 at forestmeister.com>...
> To readers of bionet.agroforestry and alt.forestry.
>
> I have decided to start up the "Great Internet Forestry Debate of '98".
>
> Foresters, landowners, environmentalist, politicians, and anyone who has
> any interest or opinion about forests are welcome to participate.

Don't forget the "preservationists" and the "lying bastards and
treehuggers"! <G>

> Since these internet forestry newsgroups represent the ONLY open forum
> on forestry, open to anyone on the planet, without restrictions as to
> elite memberships, these discussions represent the best cross section of
> thought and opinion and therefore are the ONLY truly valid structured
> approach to focusing on critical issues relevant to all of us.
>
> I shall be saving the entire discussion for posterity and will have it
> available on my web site.  What you say will be read in the distant
> future by historians of the development of forest resource policy; so
> keep that in mind.
>
> Those who participate will be the creme of the crop. Those who don't
> participate make that choice because they have nothing to contribute to
> this world wide discussion.

Well, just because I have a computer and internet access, doesn't make me
the creme of the crop. I'd like to represent the Forest Service temporaries
who do most of the fieldwork and are not appreciated by many.

> The participants here are the TRUE leaders of forestry because they have
> the intelligence to show up and speak to the world- McLuhan's Global
> Village- The Gaia.
>
> Invite everyone you know, landowners, government foresters,
> environmentalists, forestry professors and students. Help make the
> future of forestry.
>
> The debate will occur in 10 threads I have started at this time.

In all sincerity, I hope this will involve everyone who cares about our
environment and takes the time to listen, learn and act. A mind only works
when it is open.