DEBATE OF '98- fundamental tools of forestry

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Mon Apr 20 08:42:36 EST 1998

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <353A1039.82C1CC24 at forestmeister.com>,
> Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:
>
> > The basic tools of forestry are crude at best; heavy equipment and
> > chainsaws.  Will we have better tools in the 21st century?
>
> You have an odd idea of tools, Joe.  Heavy equipment and chainsaws only
> get used during harvest.  What about microscopes, mycorrhizae, gene
> mapping, entomology, GPS surveys, and a raft of other forestry tools
> we use every day?
>
> Don't confuse logging with forestry.  They're not the same.
>
> -- larry

Hmmm... but Larry, most of that stuff doesn't get used on harvesting-
and harvesting is the essence of forestry- good or bad. And as far as
forestry research goes, I don't think of it- I haven't seen any forestry
research in the past 25 years that has ANYTHING to do with normal
everyday forestry practice.

--
http://forestmeister.com

Henry David Thoreau