DEBATE OF '98- fundamental tools of forestry

Larry Harrell fotoware at jps.net
Mon Apr 20 09:46:58 EST 1998

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in article
<353B4FAC.2EF2F0B4 at forestmeister.com>...
> I'm just beginning to see some of this stuff- like forwarders. I think
> until recently most heavy logging equipment was designed for the
> convenience of the logger- to get out the production with little thought
> going into minimizing damage.

These machines REALLY produce! The on-board computer optimizes log lengths
and top diameters. The articulated arm can reach out and get low stump
heights, then limb the trees and finally snipping the top off. No loader is
needed at the landing and no lopping of slash needs to be done.
Of course, the quality of the the job is still firmly dependent on the
skill of the operator. I've seen where a forwarder operator had made four
stream crossings where only one was approved. Luckily, the stream only runs
less than 30 days a year.

Minimizing soil disturbance should be one of our greatest priorities in
logging.