DEBATE OF '98- Earth's forests are shrinking

Joseph Zorzin redoak at
Mon Apr 20 09:39:29 EST 1998

Todd wrote:
>Maybe it is time to think of a way to tera-form another planet and start
> shipping us there. That would only be a stop gap measure for about 10,000
> years or so until we overpopulate our new home too!

We could start by shipping out all the lawyers. <G>

> Mr Zorin you asked the question in the context of "Earth's Forest
> Shrinking". The forests are a resource and we exploit it. Whether for
> recreation, harvesting, studying, living in, whatever...we will continue to
> put more pressure on our natural resources.  How long before "Old Growth" is
> a memory?
> Don't get me wrong I am not anti-logging, just the opposite but I am a
> tree-hugger too, but when will we no longer be able to afford to hug a tree?

I hug them just before I mark them harvesting.

> Every year we spend 2 or 3 days cleaning garbage roadside....I have seen us
> fish snowmobiles that were leaking oil out of a stream. We have spent
> thousands of dollars cleaning up garbage dumped on our property.
> The worse thing yours truly ever had to clean up was a broken garbage bag of
> human excrement...that is shit to some people! People are too lazy and cheap
> to take it to a landfill...speaking of landfills...there is some more
> pressure on the land!

It sounds as if you don't have enough serious environmental activists!
No Sierra Club? No Earth First?

"Still, after a year, the only forestry web page in the otherwise
sophisticated state of Massachusetts"

Henry David Thoreau