DEBATE OF '98- Earth's forests are shrinking

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Mon Apr 20 09:30:54 EST 1998

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <353A0E98.59E20A19 at forestmeister.com>,
> Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:
>
> > Increasing world population means less forest land. Is this a problem?
>
> Yes.
>
> > What should we do about it?
>
> Zero Population Growth and intensive forest management.  It's hard to tell
> if we can reach a steady state forestry in the near future, but if we
> don't stop the population growth and start planting trees it will never
> happen.

I've been reading the Sierra Club newsgroup and noticed the vehement
debate over immigration policy. Some people consider any restraints on
immigration as a form racism. That's nuts. But there certainly are
people who like heavy immigration because it means cheap labor. And they
have more power than the rest of us.

I say fewer people, more forest- managed or wild- either way- I like'm
both. <G>

JZ